The Club Lavanna!
Will Dockery
2014-01-06 07:12:04 UTC
The Club Lavanna! Gary Loftin?, I've been trying to remember that name for a
long time. Never went inside but it was down near where the Royal Cafe is
now? Near the jail, the underpass that comes out at the RC building? I see
that internet information is almost zero under that spelling, this is about
all, or really is all, so far...

"...By the late fifties, The Sensational Melodies took to singing doo-wop as
well, calling themselves, simply, The Melodies. In 1958, Toney and his two
brothers formed another vocal group called The Valentines, eventually
changing their name to The Searchers, as their own version of the Coasters'
Searchin' had become their signature song. They recorded one single for the
tiny Mac label in 1960. That label was owned by a local entrepreneur named
Donald 'Cement' MacNally, who owned a popular nightspot, The Club C'estbon.
He was also the leader of the 'house band', The Kayos. [...] The Dothan
Sextet, the R&B powerhouse that (as we discussed last week) was headed by
James & Bobby Purify, performed regulary at another Columbus watering hole,
the Club Lavanna."

Maybe different combinayions of keywords will pull in more results, thanks
again for the lead.

http://redkelly.blogspot.com/2007/11/oscar-toney-jr-aint-that-true-love-bell.html
Will Dockery
2014-01-06 13:13:06 UTC
A bit more on The Club Lavanna:

http://www.viewgoods.com/music/oscar-toney-jr.html

"...chitlin' circuit nightclub called Club Lavanna in Columbus, GA. With me was a stunning, absolutely alive, 16 year-old redhead, some 3 years my junior, who was so beautiful that Wilson Picket picked her out to throw a gold cuff link to after a show."